Saturday, December 7, 2013

Going off diet

I know what you're thinking "Wait! Did that say "going off diet"? Didn't she just start this thing? And now she's going off diet already?" Okay - take 10 deep breaths, unclench your jaw, and don't panic. Keep Calm and Read On.

I was dreading Thanksgiving - with all the white potatoes, stuffing, rolls, and pies. When the day finally came, I actually did just fine. It ended up not being quite as hard as I thought it would be. However, I did decide that by Christmas I'll be almost 60 days into the Whole 30 life style and it would be okay to indulge myself. So, for Christmas I am going off diet.

This week, I realized I had a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I said I would go off diet "for Christmas". Well, this weekend we had a family Christmas get-together. Next weekend, I have my work Christmas party. There's another big family gathering on Christmas eve. And then there's the actual day of Christmas itself. I had to decide just what I meant by "for Christmas".

I picked up my It Starts with Food book to help me remember what this is all about and to get some "tough love" in writing. So, here's what I decided - Christmas is NOT for the whole month of December. It just isn't. (longing sigh) I will indulge in glueten-filled, sugar laden, carb-loaded food on Christmas eve and Christmas day. So, there you have it.

In order to keep with my Whole 30 plan this weekend, I made a fruity dessert salad. I thought I'd share the recipe with you and tell you how it went. First, here's the recipe and how it's supposed to look.

Funny story: So, just about the time that the recipe says "cover tightly and place in the refrigerator" I realized that I have no plastic wrap with which to "cover tightly". So, I improvised. Aluminum foil + bungee cord = "covered tightly". Works for me.

Also, I have looked in several places around and have NOT been able to find full fat, canned coconut milk. (If anyone in the greater Grand Rapids areas know where I can find some I will be forever in your debt!) So, I had to improvise again and used heavy cream. No, it's not totally Whole 30 compliant. But, it's got lower lactose than milk and I'm at the part of the plan where I can start to try some dairy anyway. So, I thought "why not"?

I didn't get to take a picture before some of it was eaten, but here's what my partially consumed Cranberry Waldorf looked like.

 I have to say, I think it turned out pretty well. I think I added too much whipped cream, which took away from the sweetness of the fruit a little bit. I am planning to make this again for my work party next week, so I'll play around with less whipped cream and see how it goes.

Almost every week, I do at least 90% of my cooking on Saturday and then just pull stuff out of the fridge all week. This means I'm in the kitchen for a long time that day and I usually help the time go by with some music. I thought it might be fun to tell you all what I listened to each week. So....
This week's music: Traditional Christmas music. (I know - shocking!) I was really loving the Casting Crowns Christmas album, and the Jars of Clay Christmas album.

Looking ahead: I've had some people ask which recipes helped get me started, especially when we started Paleo with our son. Changing a kid's diet can feel very daunting. So, my next post will be some of the "beginner recipes" we've used as well as some of the mistakes I made while starting out.

Until next time, my friends..... Live well.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment