Thursday, December 12, 2013

Adoption Day!!


We were so privileged to celebrate our son's adoption today!!  This is such a special event that I just couldn't resist sharing.

It was a snowy day here in West Michigan.  The kids loved going up into the court house and looking out at the snow covered city.




The adoption hearing was great!  The Judge and court staff were so friendly and excited to help us celebrate the adoption.  They even asked one of the deputies to come and talk to the kids (which the boys really loved).



After the hearing, we went for a carousel ride at our mall.  We finished off our special day with a trip to Build-A-Bear.  By the end of the day, everyone had adopted someone!  It was a wonderful, special day.




It's also got me thinking - about family and about how we are adopted into God's family.  To fully explain, let me tell you how the process of our son's adoption went.

First, our agency called us to let us know that they had a child who they thought would be a good match for our family.  We talked with several people who have worked with him over the last year.  We talked with his foster parents.  We read reports that described his behavior.  We saw a picture.  We had meetings.  We prayed a lot.

Finally, we decided that it did seem that our family and this little guy would be a good "forever family".  So, we met him.  From there, things went pretty quickly and a couple of weeks later, he was in our home to stay.  After lots of paperwork and waiting, it's now a legal fact - he is our son.

We knew going into this that there would be challenges - some big ones.  And there have been.  I think that's what reminds me so much of how God adopts us as His children.

We all come with challenges - some big ones.  While we had a pretty good idea of some of the struggles that might come with our son, God knows ALL of what we're dealing with.  He knows ALL of our imperfections, ALL of our "baggage", ALL of the things that might make us "un-adoptable". 

AND HE STILL LOVES US!

Sometimes, it just blows me away.  I know that I'm not "all bad".  I have good points.  But let's be honest.  In and of myself - I don't have a lot of redeeming qualities.  But, God redeems them all anyway.  There is nothing special about me that would make Him say, "I really want her for my daughter.  She's got what it takes."  No, He just chose to love me.  He chose to make me His.  He adopted me when there really was no reason on my part for Him to do it.

Some people might find this self-degrading.  I find it absolutely freeing.  I don't have to work at making my Heavenly Father love me.  He just does.  I don't have to strive to be "good enough".  I'm just not, and that's totally fine- because He is good enough.  I am just me - and I am fully understood and fully loved.

Do I still work to do the things God would want me to do?  Well - when someone knows you and loves you that much, that completely.... why wouldn't I want to do things they want?  It's not so much about being a "good Christian" (that phrase actually makes me gag a little), it's about living in the truth that I am God's passionately loved child, and I want to do the things that my Father loves. 

I am thankful for the way that our son's adoption helps me focus on my own adoption.  I am glad that he is part of our family.  I am glad that I am part of God's family.

Robert Paul Doane, welcome to your "forever family".


Until next time, my friends..... Live well.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment