Sunday, March 16, 2014

Fail!!

So, in keeping with the "soup for breakfast" thing I've had going, I decided to try a new one.  This one is Orange Carrot Ginger soup, from the Vitamix recipe book.  The color looked nice and bright.  I thought "It seems like those three things wouldn't go together, but sometimes surprising combinations are really good.  Why not try it?"

Well, I'll tell you why not.

It was easy enough to make.  Just throw everything into the blender and away we go.  As I was blending, I thought a few times, "Wow - that's kind of more yellow that I thought it would be."  I checked the picture in the book and guessed it wasn't that off, so let's keep going.  After it was finished, I took a sample bite. My first thought was,  "That's interesting."  I took another bite.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great.  I figured I'd still eat it - since I went to the trouble of making it - but I probably wouldn't make it again.

The next day I warmed it up for breakfast and sat down.  About three bites in, I just couldn't do it anymore.  I keep trying to find the words to describe how this tasted.  The words "too bright"  keep popping into my mind.  I know that doesn't give you much to go on.  I'll just say my initial thought that those three foods don't seem like they go together seems to have been correct.



Thankfully, I had some back up chocolate chili in the freezer.  :)

After that fail, I really wanted some comfort food of things that I KNEW would go together.

Enter "Paleo Apple Crisp"



- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed cashews

1.  Throw the sliced apples in a baking dish
2.  Sprinkle with remaining ingredient
3.  Bake at 350 for about 30-45 min
4.  Be comforted

I'm not sure if this really counts as a "recipe" because it's just throwing stuff in a baking dish and then in the oven.  And also a word of caution - go easy on the brown sugar.  It's still sugar.

Music of the week:  Just the sounds of our busy life.   I've been cooking with lots of other stuff going on the last couple of weeks - so no music to share this time.

Until next time, my friends..... Live well.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment